Common Causes of Occasional Constipation
Some common causes of occasional constipation may include1-3:
- Low fiber diet and dehydration
- Waiting too long or ignoring urge to have a bowel movement
- Lack of physical activity
- Eating and drinking too many dairy products
- Certain medications may also be associated with constipation
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). Symptoms & Causes of Constipation. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/constipation/symptoms-causes Accessed July 2017.
- American Gastroenterological Association. Constipation. Available at http://www.gastro.org/patient-care/conditions-diseases/constipation. Accessed August 2017.
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Constipation. Available at https://www.fascrs.org/patients/disease-condition/constipation-0. Accessed August 2017.