Constipation. It is uncomfortable, stressful, and embarrassing to talk about.
So lets talk about it. Though you may feel alone when you're suffering in the bathroom, constipation is not uncommon. At some point, most people have experienced it.1 In fact, constipation affects an estimated 42 million Americans, making it one of the most common GI complaints in the country.1 And while it seemingly strikes at random (at the most inconvenient times) there are common constipation causes to be aware of.1
- A diet low in fiber
- Waiting too long or ignoring the urge to go
- Not getting enough physical activity
- Travel or a change in daily routine
- Pregnancy or new motherhood
- Taking certain medications
- Constipation. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). National Institutes of Health. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/constipation/Documents/Constipation_508.pdf. Accessed April 2016.